Thursday, February 11, 2010

Godspeed, Al!

West Haven has lost a good and loyal man.

Alexander Botte, the (semi-)retired Police Commissioner, has left us. Al was a true gentleman, and a firm believer in the positive side of West Haven...just as he truly saw all the positive aspects of life. There are only a few for whom I had greater respect and admiration.

I first met Al in the late 1960's, when I was a kid working for "Big Al" Zarnowski (back then, he was "Mr. Botte" to me...later, he told me to call him "Al"). Even though I was barely into Middle School, I remember he would take the time to discuss with me various issues of the day. He always forced me to think deeper into the issues (and showed me the value of seeing the other side's point of view). This philosophy served him well over the years.

All I can add to the above is, "farewell, good and true servant!" I'll miss you.

If you have memories of Al, please post them by clicking on the comments link (below the post time) below. I'll forward the best of these to his family.

(NOTE: I wish I could have found a better photograph of him!)



No comments: