Friday, January 15, 2010

And AWAAAAY We Go!

They're off and running (for petition signatures, that is!)

Late word just came in that petitions were pulled today for challenge slates in two districts: the 1st and the 9th. By my rough calculations, the challengers need about 80 verified signatures in the 1st, and about 100 in the 9th, in order to get on the ballot and force a March 2 primary...and they have about a week and a half to do it. Shouldn't be such a tall order.

And, though I haven't seen exactly who will be on these challenge slates, I've been told there's some good vote-getters listed. I hope to have more details on the slates after the weekend.

But I'm still wondering: Why only TWO Districts? By my (admittedly rough) calculation, the endorsed Town Committee is split 47 Morrissey supporters to 13 Picard. Even if they win all 12 seats, they won't have enough to take control....unless some of the supposed Morrissey endorsees are really backing his side "in name only"....hmmmm.

I'm left with the suspicion that there will be more challenge slates popping up in the near future - but (given that they can't get petitions until Tuesday at the earliest), any additional petitioners will have barely a week to get the requisite signatures to get on the ballot.

And so it goes.....AGAIN.

2 comments:

jimd said...

Cebi Waterfield
John Roper
Judge Ed Leavitt
Mark Palmieri
Tom Reilly
Phil Liscio


8th district

West Haven Bob said...

I'd heard a similar line-up...except for Reilly and Liscio. Two thoughts on this:

1) While Thom and Ed Leavitt are good vote-getters, I'm not sure they can overcome the heavyweight lineup in that District. Of course, their goal might just be to "pick off" a few seats.

2) They have about a week to pull and return their petitions: it's not impossible, but the clock IS ticking...and other district slates (and yes, I believe there will be more) will have this as an ever-growing hurdle.