Monday, January 11, 2010

The facts of Life


It's a fact of everyone's life: that - sooner or later - we will either grow old or we will die young. And, just as we needed our parents to help us as we entered this world, we will likely need help as we prepare to leave it. Death is the inevitable result of living.

I was lucky, in that that I had the money, the opportunity - and the desire - to care for both my parents in their final months. I did the same for my younger sister. By doing this, I got the priceless opportunity - not only to say "I Love You", but also to show it in the same wordless manner they showed their love for me: with personal loving care that only a family member can give.

But, not everyone has the convergence of all three aspects of time, money and desire...and so we need assisted living facilities. We need these facilities: not for our convenience (or assistance, though it might come to that sooner than we expect), but for the comfort of those who will soon leave us. The people who would use this place are blameless in our arguments...but they cannot be forgotten.

I cannot say that the proposal before the Planning & Zoning Board is the best possible use of the land...though I am sure that all other proposals brought forward thus far are far inferior. Private homes (to use the craven dual arguments of tax revenue/service costs) cannot approach the cost-to-tax-benefit ratio that this proposal offers. I won't steep to the level of wondering whether EMT service to the place can be equated to the costs of education or trash pickup...I'll leave this to those who don't feel the need to bother with their consciences at the close of the day.

I cannot say that the individual (or business) is the best entity to put this proposal forward...though I am sure that no one else has brought a similar proposal for our region.

Having said all this, I do believe there's many points of concern about the impact that this facility would have on the quality of life of those who own homes near where it would be. Has the applicant adequately addressed the issue of traffic and/or parking on the premises? Has the applicant shown good faith in correcting neighborhood concerns in the past? Have there been governmental concerns? Is there any good reason to think this will be merely a "dumping ground" for old folk, instead of a needed place for seniors to finish their lives with dignity?

I don't know if there are answers to these questions (or to the hundreds of other questions I have). While I do know that such a facility is needed, I don't know whether this proposal best fills that need.

I only hope that - given the sensitivity of the subject - the P&Z Board has gotten
answers to these questions (and can coherently provide those answers to the people)...and that those raising the most strident objections aren't caring more about their wallets than they care about their fellow human beings.


1 comment:

jimd said...

I enjoy reading you columns and although I think you have a very agenda driven blog I learn quite a bit.

On this issue though I think you may not realize that this care is for fairly healthy ( and wealthy) people as they only plan on having one nurse on duty during the day and 2 aides.

This is not the type of place one would go if they were sick and needed a nursing home. It's also not the type of place insurance will pay for.

That being said the people who can afford $600 a day and up for limited assisted living are not our neighbors from West Haven with very few exceptions.

The land is currently valued very high ( I think 2 miilion but not sure) so the owners are paying a great deal of tax on it sitting vacant.

The owner will be bringing in about $20,000 a day on this place and that is why he wants elder care and not single family houses.

If he wants to build this he should not only pay the taxes on the new building but for every single medical call the WSFD responds to as the owner will be paying peanuts in increased taxes compared to the profits he will make.