Friday, September 11, 2009

2,922 days...


..ago, the impossible became reality. For me, I remember that day (just as so many others). It was primary day: Rich Borer was running against a slate headed by John Picard, and a slate headed by Jim Morrissey. I did some final computer work, then went to go to campaign headquarters. In the car, I heard that a plane had hit one of the towers...my first thoughts were about the plane hitting the Empire State Building near the end of World War II (no, I'm not that old! I learned about it.)

So, my first thoughts were that this was a horrible accident...like most everybody, terrorism was the last thing on my mind...until the second plane hit. That's when it was obvious. I was in the car, going to hand out cards at Washington School; and I remember the sobering thought: We are now at WAR. I remember my parents talking about Pearl Harbor day; I imagined their shock and horror, even as I was experiencing mine.

It would be good to remember how we came together in the days following, as well. The spirit of America - never absent, though sometimes silent, shined through when it was most sorely needed.

America has come a long way since those dark days; we've grown, and made mistakes. Unlike too many other governments, we learn from both our successes and our errors - we display our mistakes publicly: we debate those mistakes openly and earnestly, so that we are less likely to repeat them.

That's a major reason why America won't fall.

May God keep those who lost their lives that terrible day; may He comfort those left behind; and may He bless this country always with His grace.


No comments: