Thursday, September 10, 2009

Once again, around the park...


Imagine my surprise! The same ad which caused such a ruckus by being run in the New Haven Register on Tuesday appeared in this week's Völkischer Beobachter (oops, I meant West Haven Voice...an honest mistake, given little Billy's many opinions).

Well, I have little problems with this ad...Team Picard has enough money to fly this pig. But...

Once again, there's that little issue of who paid for the ad...just a minor issue of obeying the law. But who cares, right? We know "Team Picard 2009" approved the ad, right?

WRONG.

Knowing who paid for the ad lets voters know who's behind these ads, and who's bankrolling the candidates. That allows the opposing candidates the opportunity to expose hidden interests, and thus the voters can go to the polls with all information...to make whichever decision they wish.


6 comments:

Michael said...

Bob,

A general comment: I recently moved to West Haven and I try to be politically involved/aware wherever I live. Your site has helped me begin to understand the morass that is the city's politics; thank you. Two perhaps unanswerable questions: How did it get so bad, and can it be fixed? And a third: what can a concerned citizen do to effect some positive change (other than expose the lies/hypocrisy; you seem to do that pretty well). Keep up the good work.

West Haven Bob said...

I started to discuss the issues you raise in my post of Sept 8 - "What went Wrong".

I hope to continue this this week end...but it's a good start (and a good primer about those who shape local politics.)

I also suggest you look at the "Other Recommended Sites" list on the left of the page...I try to include all viewpoints (even if I disagree with them)..no one has a monopoly on the truth!

West Haven Bob said...

By the way, Michael - I want to thank you for actually posting under something besides "Anonymous".

If you read the comments under my posts, you'll see everyone - whether in agreement or in opposition - choose to use the Anonymous option.

Your viewpoint is a breath of fresh air into West Haven...I hope there's more coming! Even if I disagree with those viewpoints, honest discussion is what we're all about!

Again, Thanks!

Michael Burgan said...

I look forward to the next installment of the recent history of WH politics. And you're welcome about signing my name--it's the least folks can do when they respond to a public writing.

Dominic said...

Nice call on the WH Voice. Is David Riccio on the GOP ticket related to Bill Riccio, Jr, publisher of the voice?

West Haven Bob said...

No...Dave Riccio is a really nice guy, who got the "Royal Order of the Shaft" award by his own party a few years back...